Health Energy Learning Motivation thru Sports is a collaboration of 12 agencies supporting individuals with intellectual disabilities and the YMCAs of Quinte West/Belleville/Peterborough. The purpose is to provide people with intellectual disabilities an opportunity to experience community sports activities in an inclusive manner. This is accomplished through cooperation between the HELMS Steering Committee and the various community sports organizations.
This is not a funded program. The program operates using monies from grants, fundraising activities, agency contributions, and community donations.
The HELMS Program supports the beliefs that:
* every person should have the opportunity to participate in sports that may enrich their lives;
* every person can achieve a healthier life style through participation in sports;
* every person can become more proficient in sports;
* every person can participate more fully in the life of their community through sports activities.
Through participation in the HELMS Program, people with an intellectual disability are able to:
1. achieve improved overall health, fitness and satisfaction levels
2. strengthen their knowledge of what constitutes a healthy life style
3. increase their motivation and understanding of sports and/or physical activities available to them
4. increase natural connections to the community
We now have a new website for the Helms Program. Click Here
The winner of our November 50/50 draw was Johanne Strome of Picton, Ontario
The winners of our February Family Day lottery draw were:
$2000 Grand Prize – Teresa Burke, Otonobee, Ontario
One Year YMCA Adult Membership ($735 value) – Pat Koets, Brighton, Ontario
‘Love Is In The Air’ Gift Basket ($250 value)- Hilary Grey, Janetville, Ontario
Wine & Cheese Basket ($250 value) – Shelley Althouse and Melissa Gillespie, Havelock, Ontario
Best Buy Gift Cards ($200 value) – Independent Living Program – CL Kawartha Lakes, Lindsay, Ontario
Costco Gift Cards ($200 value) – Beckie Kellett, Lindsay, Ontario